In this Atlantic Luggage review, we’re going to check out their Avion Lite 2-piece luggage set from a while back to see how it holds up in 2021.
Buying luggage can be a tricky task, as there are so many brands and products to choose from. And good luggage often costs quite a penny, so getting informed is crucial.
Before we begin this review, we need to be transparent about the fact that the Avion Lite won’t receive our recommendation, as there are better alternatives out there with much better user reviews. So we are including a few alternatives with similar features for consideration:
If you’re in a hurry and just want to know the most important features, check out the product below:
- 4 spinner wheels rotate 360 degree, providing effortless maneuverability and a smooth glide in every direction. Each case also features a telescoping handle with multiple stops to support a comfortable roll for users of different heights.
- Built with a durable polyester fabric and water-repellent coating to resist stains and abrasions. Each case also features rugged skid guard and corner guard protection of high wear points.
- Main body compartment includes tapered expansion capability to increase capacity when needed. Ergonomic high-tensile-strength zipper pulls provide effortless and secure opening/closing of all exterior pockets.
- Exterior case Dimensions/weights (including handles/wheels) - carry-on: 22 x14 x9 inches 6.1 lbs. Check-in: 26 x16 x11 inches 7.4 lbs.
Design and Style
Atlantic Luggage came out with their 2 piece luggage set, the Avion Lite and it occupies an interesting middle ground between individual suitcases and 3+ Piece luggage sets like the AMERICAN TOURISTER 4 Kix Softside Luggage Set.
The suitcases are built from durable polyester fabric and a water-repellent coating. They also added skid and corner guards for extra protection, so it should make for durable construction quality.
The Avion lite comes with a 26 inch and 22-inch softside piece with fairly neutral, slightly business-oriented designs.
This set is only available in black, which kind of shows the target audience of this luggage set, since more fashion-oriented people like to stand out with vivid designs or vibrant colors.
This black design and the material’s texture lends a great professional look and is definitely a great choice for business trips.
Atlantic Luggage Features
The suitcases come with the usual softside luggage bells and whistles: 360-degree spinner wheels, 2 external zippered pockets for easy access to your most important documents, a luggage tag holder in the back, and push-button aluminum handles.
The spinner wheels should be excellent for easy maneuverability, combined with the handle.
The 2 external pockets are great to store your boarding pass or ID in and they can hold your most commonly used items in there.
The suitcases also include the option to expand by about 2 inches for extra storage, and there are two additional handles on the side and on the top to make sure that lifting the suitcases is a breeze even when full.
Size and Weight
Suitcases in the Avion Lite set have the following sizes (with handle and wheels) and weight:
|Size||22 x 14 x 9 inches||26 x 16 x 11 inches|
|Weight||6.1 lbs||7.4 lbs|
While the carry-on is nothing to rave about in terms of weight, the 26″ check-in is fairly lightweight compared to other brands and provides a decent amount of storage capacity.
This size combination is also great because the carry-on should comply with most airline size restrictions, while the 26″ piece provides ample storage without becoming too bulky like a 28″ suitcase would.
The interior of the suitcases is the standard split design, with a large main compartment with tie-down straps for your clothing and larger items, and a second zippered compartment usually reserved for smaller items or your shoes for example.
The great thing about the 26″ inch suitcase is that it finds the sweet spot between size and capacity, where it’s not too bulky like a 28″+ suitcase, but large enough to neatly fit at least a week’s worth of travel items.
The carry-on is also great for a trip lasting several days. So unless you’re planning on bringing the whole family with you, the Atlantic Luggage Avion Lite set should be more than enough for your travel needs.
And even if that’s not enough, both suitcases can expand 2″ inches more for some extra capacity. As always, make sure to double-check your airline weight limits to avoid overpacking.
It would be great if they included a toiletry bag like Lucas Luggage does with the much smaller LUCAS Wheeled Underseat Cabin Bag.
While polyester isn’t as durable as nylon or cotton canvas, it’s still not uncommon to build luggage out of it.
Even Amazon themselves has luggage made from polyester, like their Upright Expandable Softside Suitcases
Still, to make sure that they stand out from the crowd, Atlantic Luggage has woven their fabric in a honeycomb pattern for added sturdiness and durability.
Atlantic Luggage offers a 10-year limited warranty on their suitcases, which is really good compared to the usual 3-5 years that other brands provide.
It obviously won’t cover the usual wear and tear, but it shows a level of confidence on Atlantic’s part regarding their product quality.
For damages resulting from neglect, misuse, or airline mishandling, all repairs and/or replacements are left to the discretion of the owner. For further warranty details contact Atlantic and provide your receipt as proof of purchase, otherwise contact the distributor for more information.
User Ratings and Conclusion
While all of the above stuff sounds fine and good, we need to consider that the Atlantic Luggage Avion Lite 2 Piece Spinner Luggage Set has some pretty mixed reviews from users, especially compared to other brands.
While users mostly praised the ample storage, almost all other features received some criticism, including the wheels not tracking well, the zippers being weak and coming apart, and the overall build quality seemed poor.
While this can be due to many factors and still Atlantic offers a 10-year warranty, we can’t wholeheartedly recommend the product at this time.
With that said, we are including a few alternatives with similar features for consideration:
- Outer dimensions (including wheels): 16.3 x 8.2 x 21.6 Inches / 20.6 x 11 x 27.9 Inches; Interior dimensions: 13.7 x 7 x 18.3 Inches / 18.1 x 9.6 x 24.6 Inches
- Interior capacity: 29 Liters / 70 Liters
- Weight: 5.91 lbs. / 8.2 lbs.
- 2-piece suitcase set includes non-expandable 21.6-inch and expandable 28-inch sizes; ideal for trips of any duration
- Outer dimensions (including wheels): 15.7 x 9 x 23.2 Inches / 20.6 x 12.2 x 32.2 Inches; Interior dimensions: 17.5 x 9.25 x 23.6 Inches / 19.6 x 10.6 x 28.3 Inches
- Interior capacity: 63 Liters / 97 Liters
- Weight: 8.75 lbs. / 10.43 lbs.
- Premium 2-piece softside spinner set includes 23-inch carry-on and 32-inch suitcase; built-in TSA lock provides an added level of security
- Each with 4 double-wheeled spinners and a sturdy telescoping handle to ensure comfortable rolling and easy maneuverability
- 2 PIECE SET contains: 20 inches Carry On (meets carry on size restrictions for those traveling domestically and looking to stay light) and 29 inches Spinner (maximize your packing power and the ideal checked bag for longer trips)
- 10 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Samsonite products are rigorously tested to ensure our products meet stringent standards, This set comes with a 10 year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT and DURABLE 680D Polyester construction, keeping cases beautiful trip after trip
- FOUR MULTI DIRECTIONAL Spinner wheels for easy mobility, rolls upright so there is no weight on your arm or shoulder
- EXPANSION ON ALL CASES for added packing capacity